Monday, January 28, 2013

Mountain Climbing

Well I finally faced the music and stepped on a scale for the first time in over a month. Now I'm in that difficult place between determined and discouraged. I'll wake up feeling positive and optimistic, but by the middle of the day I start to feel overwhelmed and resigned.
I think the problem is that I am staring at the mountain that is my end goal without acknowledging the fact that each step I need to take is an accomplishment in and of itself. If I can celebrate the steps, I think I'll be able to build momentum as I climb.

I guess I still haven't 'fessed up as to the result of my weigh-in. So here goes: 156lbs.

On my muscular 5'5" frame, I believe 156 lbs to be approximately 26 lbs too many. So my mountainous goal is 130 lbs, but I'm going to work on some mini-goals to help me along the way.

It's like when you're hiking a literal mountain: when you get tired, of course you look up at what you still have to climb in dismay. But you also look down at how far you've come, how small those trees below look that once towered above you, and the beautiful scenery all around that can still be appreciated even if it isn't yet the vista you yearn for.

At 156 lbs, I can still appreciate that I am not the 165 lbs I reached last Christmas.

So along this vein, Meredith and I were discussing what we could set as smaller goals for ourselves. And not just weight goals but fitness and nutrition goals as well.

There is a 10 km run that happens every Spring in my beautiful city of Victoria. Part of the course runs along the coast, and it's just breathtaking. Thousands of people participate, people of all ages and fitness abilities. I haven't participated in years, but I want to this year - and my goal is to be able to run the entire thing, no walking breaks. Last Spring I was able to run 5km without stopping after only a month. With the 10K being in late April, if I start now I'll be able to reach this goal.

I bought a gym pass a couple of days ago. I want to go 4 times a week, at least. I need it to be a habit. I need to stop seeing going to the gym as a big deal, and start seeing it as just something I do. And hopefully come to enjoy!

Next I need to tackle my eating habits. Right now they're total crap. For example, I had McDonalds for dinner tonight. And while I don't often have fast food, the food I eat at home isn't usually much better.

But for now,
See you when I see you.
Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment